Sunday, September 21, 2008

trips and last minute things

Hello everyone! I'll be using this blog while I'm studying abroad this school year in Rome to stay in touch with all of you! Rather than trying to keep in touch and email everyone individually, I'll write on this about everything I'm doing. I would loooove if everyone commented on the entries every now and then so I know who's reading, what you think, and to stay in contact with you! You can comment on an entry by clicking the hyperlink at the end of an entry that says something like "0 comments" or "3 comments" or whatever. Type in the empty box and then select Name/URL for your "identity" and you can write your name. Of course, you guys can always email me at NightSparkle24@aol.com ( I'm not going to check my school email over there as much), I'll be on facebook every now and then, and use skype if you have it! It's free video chatting, you just have to have a webcam w/ a mic- download it off of skype.com and search my name.
These last couple weeks at home have been a mix of short trips and rushing around to make sure I have everything I need. In August, I visited Kristin at her school in PA- Susquehanna. we had a good time-- I'm glad I finally got to see where she lives and goes to school! I love you kj. Then I had my wisdom teeth taken out (YUCK) which was awful and sucked and was really stupid and I hate being drugged and am never going to be drugged again. Haha. But I'm glad I got them out and they healed in time for me to go to Rome and.... South Bend! I visited the weekend of the Michigan game, but didn't go. I had such a blast visiting all my smc and nd friends. It rained buckets the whole weekend, but it was fun anyway-- catching up with my (old?) roomie amelia, seeing tara all grown up as an RA, staying with annie, hanging out with my dad kyle (haha), chilling with hannah and katie, catching a glimpse of the smc dance classes I'll be missing while I'm gone, riding blinkie over to nd once again, to hang out w/ all the awesome alumni guys in the two quads, and going to alumni mass. Thank you so much to alex, molly, and alyssa for giving me some tips about going to rome-- I don't know what to expect yet, so I'm glad I got to talk to you guys. I'm really glad I visited school to see everyone before I left.

This past Friday my family and I drove down to Harrisonburg, picked up natalie, and headed to West Virginia to go whitewater rafting on Saturday. Uncle Tom took us down the Lower Gauley river- it was awesome!! We had 10 people plus him in the raft, pretty full. The two couples that came with us were real Virginians (aka they had strong accents, unlike the rest of us nova people), and were nice. Scott, chris, and I all "rode the bull" a couple times: you climb up front and sit on the top of the raft w/ your legs dangling over and hold onto a handle-thing, stick one arm in the air waving, and hold on for dear life while you go down a rapid-- SO FUN. After several weeks of being home with out all of my friends it was so good to see natalie! I also got to see her apartment... of course her room looks exactly like it does at home, for those of you who know what that means :) Tonight aunt mary, uncle al, peter (yes, baby peter kristin haha), and the little love of my life kathleen came over. I made dinner and it was good to have both our families around together before I left.

Right now I'm a little nervous because I haven't had time to think about leaving all that much and prepare myself.... I'm focusing on getting everything together. If I think about leaving my mom and family for so long too much, I think I'll get much more sad so I'm not letting myself get to that point. Saying goodbye to aunt mary, who was my second mom for half of the summer, was hard but I just tried not to think about it too much. I have so many groups I have to say goodbye to for the year: my family, all my awesome aunts, uncles, and cousins, my amazing friends here (well, scattered throughout the country these days), and of course school friends! :( I leave Tuesday night, and I'm pretty sure some other smc girls will connect from detroit to my flight, so I'll be the only one flying out of my area, but hopefully have some people to sit with! We'll all meet up in the airport in Rome and take a bus to Assisi for a 4-day orientation. Then classes start monday I think. It's crazy to think that in one week I'll 1) be in classes once again and 2) BE IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY.... crazy.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jilly! I'm so excited for you and I love this blog! It's a great way to keep updated with you...I'm so glad you had fun white water rafting!! Don't be nervous Jill. It's going to be the best thing you ever do! I miss you already! way too much!!!

Love you!
Annie

Anonymous said...

jill! i loved reading this entry. thanks for mentioning me about susquehanna hahaha...and i loved the phrase "it rained buckets"...omg you would say that. anyway, i talked to my mom this evening and she got those plastic containers at michael's. she actually said they were in the bead section, and used to separate bead colors and what not. so you might wanna try there.

anyway, i loved reading your blog entry! you wrote it in a totally jillian style, and i could hear your voice in my head telling me everything as i could read it. i love you SO much jillian! have a blast in rome...i KNOW you will, and i totally canNOT wait to read all about your crazy adventures!!!! I LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

jillllllllian!!!
I miss you already - reading this made me cry. I love you so much, I can't stand that you will be gone so long. But I know this will be a great adventure for you.... just promise me it will be a round trip ticket.
Always, always,
aunt annie

Anonymous said...

Hi Jillian,
The last time I was in Assisi was with my brother, Vinny in 1962. I loved walking up to see the cave where St. Francis lived and the little wood pillow he used . Tell me if it is still there.
I'll let you know our favorite spots in Rome so you can send us a picture from them later on.
You should let james Graham -Brown know you are in Italy, he studied there and is employed by a law firm that does business there, so you never know he could be coming over sometime. He speaks perfect Italian, which was one of his majors at Oxford.
Love,
G........Aunt Eileen

Mom said...

Jillian, this blog is a great idea. It's going to be so much easier to stay in touch, than it was for me thirty years ago with my friends and family. I am so excited that you are studying in the Rome program! I am going to miss you sweetheart, but I am happy for you to be on this adventure. I love you to the moon and back! xoxoxo Mom

Anonymous said...

hi jillian :)
I told you to watch out for those drugs!! sorry it sucked :( luckily, it only happens once.
I'm so excited to be able to follow what you're up to in ROME! SO jealous!! don't worry about flying alone or meeting up with the rest of the girls-because you're all going across the ocean "alone" you'll bond together right from the start. and the best advice I have for you about living abroad is to keep busy! go out and explore and try new things and meet new people. you'll miss your family and friends, of course, but you'll find out how strong you are and you'll be able to do such awesome things it'll be so worth it!
have a good trip tomorrow night and enjoy your time in Italy!!
Erin :)

Anonymous said...

Jillian,

This blog is a GREAT idea. I am already hooked and you haven't even left yet! You are going to have a fabulous time and do very well. I am confident about you and proud of you. Go Girl Power! Go Sarah! (Oops, got carried away there.) Go Jillian!

Love,

Dad

Rebecca Mary said...

jill!!
Hey cuzzy. I'm so excited (and jealous) to read about all the crazy fun adventures your going to have :)
So sad I didn't get to see you this summer.. its been SO long. oh my goodness.. it HAS been really long. wow. ok well I'm going to have to figure out this skype thing then so I can "see" you on that. I'll just ask aunt annie how ha. well, anyways make sure to take some amazing pictures as I'm sure you will.. make sure to shoot me a text when you think of it and I'll do the same :) I love you, can't wait to see you next.. hopefully so soon after you get back. I'll miss you this weekend!! Bye good luck have fun!!!!
Love, BeckYYYY

Rebecca Mary said...

p.s. i like your name on this.. eat pray love anyone? ;)

Anonymous said...

Jilly I'm very excited for you! I'm sure you will be very busy while you are there and will need some time to adjust so just make sure to let us know you are alive and well even when you can't write out a long and detailed description of your activities. We love you Jill. Take care and good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jillian,
I wondered if you'd do a blog and I see mental telepathy runs in the family!! I'm so excited for you and we'll love traveling vicariously through you....one more tip for budget travel --check out Rick Steves books, & he's online too for updated info...www.RickSteves.com I just saw an episode on Milan this afternoon! Safe & happy travels and use those contacts (i.e. Aunt Eileen's tip) Love & Blessings, Aunt Arlene

Anonymous said...

Hey Jillian - I'm so excited for you, and jealous that you get to spend so much time in Rome! I only did a day trip from Florence. Hmm, my "Customs & Etiquette of Italy" book didn't say anything about not looking men in the eye. Brazen me - while running across Piazza della Signoria in Florence I called out "Buon giorno!" to a couple of male runners, and we had a nice run and chat along the Arno. I guess it's different with runners. In Rome, at the Piazza Navona there was a white-painted living statue of an angel who was doing a great job of being a statue, but as I glanced at him, he glanced back, a "Ha ha, made you look!" moment. Eat some gelato for me! My standard order: "Lo piu piccolo, mezzo lampone, mezzo cioccolata." Perfetto! If you get to Florence, the best place for gelato is Vivoli, behind the Teatro Verdi.
Ciao, bella! - Liza