NEWS FLASH: The leaning tower of Pisa is not the only leaning tower in Italy/the world. In fact, it's pretty lame compared to the ridiculous leaning of two of Bologna's towers. Although Pisa's is prettier, I'd have to say it looks more stable than the two towers in downtown Bologna which each lean over by more than 2 and 3 meters. Also, as a leaning tower expert, I would like to add that the Bologna towers get more points for a) looking like they are leaning into each other, and b) Bologna being overall a much more... cool, pretty, exciting, shady (in the sun sense), lively, happy, yummy, populated, etc... city. Pisa basically sucks.
We also visited countless churches. I don't know about all of you, but I for one have had enough frescos to last me a lifetime. By the last leg of the trip I was willing to give up all the frescos for the endless, ancient Etruscan tombs of last semester. And if you were here last semester, that's saying a lot. Overall I actually would have to say I enjoyed the ancient stuff more... maybe because it was more of a mystery to begin with. Still, we had a good time, especially eating all the local food!
A speciality of the Veneto region is eel. To my utmost dissapointment, we did not get to try this amazing delicacy which Italians let swim around in their bathtubs before eating for their typical Christmas dinner.
Ferrara and Mantova (Mantua) each serve cappellacci different ways, so we tried both! In Ferrara it's tortellini stuffed with pumpkin with either burro e salvia (butter and sage sauce) or al ragu (with meat sauce). In Mantova it's raviolo stuffed with pumpkin, with either sauce. The ragu one was awesome. But the cappellacci burro e salvia from Mantova wins out because it was tastier topped with crunchy cinnamon bits!
cappellacci burro e salvia w/ cinnamon bits in Mantova --->
<-- A piadina in Padova (Padua): flat bread stuffed with whatever you want (in my case w/ pomodori, parmigiano, e mozzarella)
We also had spaghetti alla bolognese in Bologna (where else), which was spaghetti with a meat sauce. It didn't actually have tomato sauce in it, which surprised us, but it was still very yummy.
2 comments:
The food looks wonderful. You're very lucky!
Thanks El. This was a couple of years ago but that cappellacci is making me hungry right now!!
Post a Comment